This blog is part of series of articles, parodies and satire based on my thoughts on the trends, reactions and experiences (both individual and shared) of society. Some you may agree with, some you will probably vehemently disagree with and that's absolutely fine.

The content within this site is mostly fictional. Some of the people really exist. Some of the events really happened. But don't bank on any of it by using it in a pub quiz or to sound well-read when conversing with colleagues. Also, to anyone whose name is contained within this site, I know you didn't really do that thing I said you did. I just thought people might like me if I said you did. No need to sue me.

It is in no particular order. It's just one guy, his notebook, a coffee and a dream...

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Jon Stewart, I honour thee...

I don't like to use other people's material, but I have to give credit once again to Jon Stewart who made an amazing point on The Daily Show on 7 October 2008.

When discussing Sarah Palin's visit to ground zero, he voiced that he found it frustrating and more than a little annoying that 'Caribou Barbi" spends almost 98% of her allotted campaigning time (I'm not a statistician, so that's a pure guess) rallying against the big cities, media elites and latte drinkers who inhabit these demoralised, Soddham and Gomorrah cesspools of unreal Americans. She then visits the city, stands beside the site at ground zero and spouts unending rhetoric about the American spirit and how it brought the whole country together.

I'm sorry? On 9/11, did the US Government fly in people from small towns all over the United States to try and raise the moral fibre of the city and bring all the devil-worshipping, cocaine snorting wall-street bankers some hope and dignity.

Hells-no! Those were New Yorkers, lady. They live there the whole time. Some were even drinking a latte when the planes struck. Yes, the event had a very profound effect on the entire Nation and the entire world. Yes, in the aftermath, people from all over the country and all over the world came together at the site for rescue efforts and mutual support. But the majority of them? "Big city types".

I am, of course, paraphrasing Jon Stewart. I am nowhere near as elegant with my speech. But his point is well worth remembering when McCain-Palin continue their divisive campaign.

No comments: