This blog is part of series of articles, parodies and satire based on my thoughts on the trends, reactions and experiences (both individual and shared) of society. Some you may agree with, some you will probably vehemently disagree with and that's absolutely fine.

The content within this site is mostly fictional. Some of the people really exist. Some of the events really happened. But don't bank on any of it by using it in a pub quiz or to sound well-read when conversing with colleagues. Also, to anyone whose name is contained within this site, I know you didn't really do that thing I said you did. I just thought people might like me if I said you did. No need to sue me.

It is in no particular order. It's just one guy, his notebook, a coffee and a dream...

Monday, July 7, 2008

Lest we forget...

The speed at which a person can switch their personal opinions based on their immediate goals has always fascinated me.

Unfortunately, I am no exception. Recently, I was in a car park after attending a memorabilia fair (yes, the kind of event where ex-cast members of Star Trek sign photos from 20 years ago) attempting to find my car. Believing I had the right of way at a pedestrian crosswalk, I was angered at the complete lack of respect and courtesy offered by the people who were fortunate enough to have located their vehicles and were now so anxious to get home that waiting 10 seconds to allow me to cross the street would have been a fate worse than not getting that all elusive Brent Spiner autograph. Cue me on my oh-so-high horse, waxing lyrical to my group (no, I didn't go to the Collectormania alone) about the selfishness of strangers.

However, once I was in my car my perspective changed. At the very same crosswalk where I had, not 5 minutes earlier, been verbally rampaging through the ills of modern life and citizens refusing to impinge on their precious timetables and spare 10 seconds to help a fellow human being, I find myself berating some half-wit whose only crime was to have left the show 5 minutes later than me and had chosen that moment to run some kind of Hopper-style gauntlet across the street which, obviously, is meant for motorised vehicles and not, as proven by the guy just moments away from bouncing off the bonnet of my car, for people to challenge the physical laws applying to Man vs Car.

Why can't we all just get along?

No comments: